Sandgate Apartments, 51 Ashburner St, Manly
INSTALLER/APPLICATOR/GENERAL CONTRACTOR: Tecorp Constructions
The 8 storey building “Sandgate Apartments” is approximately 45 years old and located in what has been described as a “severe marine environment” within 100 metres of the South Steyne Beach, Manly NSW. The existing clay brick façade has deteriorated due to salt penetration and crystallisation over the years that have resulted in fretting/spalling of the exposed brick faces.
Bricks needed to be high-pressure water blasted to remove surface salts in order to get a good bond of the render system. Due to the location of the building in a severe marine environment, the façade needed adequate protection from salt ingress and sea spray. Also, in combination with the ARDEX Render System, the application of ARDEX WPM 310 would provide a weather-proof barrier and a contemporary look of the façade.
- Remove and replace defective bricks and cut out any sections where the brick mortar is deteriorated to expose sound solid mortar and re-point with new mortar as necessary to achieve a flat surface. Allow to harden before proceeding.
- All existing painted surfaces to have a 2-3 mm scratch coat of ARDEX WR 60 and WR Prime.
- On all existing masonry brickwork to install ARDEX WR 100 and WR Prime applied as base coat.
- One coat of ARDEX WPM 270 as the prime coat prior to the application of the façade coating.
- Apply the ARDEX WPM 310 Façade Coating over the dry primed surface in two coats at a minimum 300 microns per coat.
ARDEX was able to provide a complete compatible system for the rectification of the façade of this prime water-front apartment block along Manly beach, adding value for the owner’s investment for the years to come.
Products used for this project
ARDEX WR 100
General Purpose Acrylic Render
- Easy to use with superior non-slump and creamy consistency
- Produces a build-up from 2-10mm with a fine finish, with no sagging or cracking
ARDEX WR Prime
Performance Enhancing Polymer Primer & Additive
- Enhances bond strength, increases flexibility and working time of cement based construction products
- Improves surface strength and adhesion of cement based render
ARDEX WPM 270
(Sheltercoat) Solvent Based Primer
- Excellent durability, low viscosity
- Clear primer designed to lock particles on the substrate to achieve maximum adhesion for subsequent coatings
ARDEX WPM 405
(Sheltercrete Additive) Polymer Additive for Cement and Concrete Mixes
- High performance polymer additive for cement and concrete mixes
- Water resistant – used as a temporary waterproofing sealer on rooftops
ARDEX WPM 310
General Purpose Membrane for Exposed Walls and Roofs
- A tough, UV stable flexible, premixed liquid applied waterproofing membrane
- Specifically formulated as a general purpose membrane for exposed wall and roof waterproofing
ARDEX RA 040
One Component, Polyurethane Based Joint Sealant
- Excellent primerless adhesion to most substrates
- Excellent weathering and UV stability
More projects in Residential and Office Building
Hitch Property Constructions – Waterproofing Refurbishment
ARDEX waterproofing membrane installed in bathroom refurbishment
74 Pirie Street, Adelaide
ARDEX waterproofing system specified for roof terrace area
Cairns Corporate Tower, Cairns
ARDEX system specified to rejuvenate a building that posed unique challenges
Heirloom Apartments, Fremantle
ARDEX waterproofing and tiling systems used in heritage listed building.
The Elan, Sydney
Complete façade overhaul using SystemARDEX
The Hub Apartments, Richmond
The Hub was completed using a full System ARDEX solution.
Sandgate Apartments, 51 Ashburner St, Manly
ARDEX render and waterproofing system specified for unique, beach-side façade restoration.
Oracle Apartments, Broadbeach
SystemARDEX specified in large redevelopment project.
Ocean Marina Pointe Apartments, Mandurah
ARDEX adhesive used in Mandurah apartments upgrade
Residential Apartments, St Peters
500sqm of ARDEX TPO used to fix leaks
One Eleven St Georges Terrace, Perth
Replacement of waterproofing membrane
Old Parliament House, Canberra
ARDEX products were specified and used throughout the project
Lure Apartments, Nelson Bay
ARDEX sound proofing system used in new prestigious development
Hoppers Crossing Warehouse
Structural and cosmetic repair to concrete tilt panels.
Elevation Apartments, Perth
ARDEX System used in prestigious development right in the heart of Perth’s CBD
215 Adelaide Street, Brisbane
Refurbishment of office tower complex
Government Building, 1 William Street, Brisbane
ARDEX binder and screed used to repair damage to high traffic area